Frequently Asked Questions

The information on this page is provided to answer some of the frequently asked questions about our services and using a Registered Migration Agent.

Why should I use a Registered Migration Agent?

  • It’s not essential to use a migration agent to move to Australia. However, it depends entirely on your ability to submit a successful application. Just like many people rely on the professional services of an Accountant to prepare their tax return, or a Solicitor to prepare their Will, a large majority of migrants prefer the comfort of having a professional migration agent attend to their visa related needs.

 What do your services cover?

  • Advising you on what visa will best suit your needs. With as many as 140 different Australian visas, this can often cause confusion without professional advice;
  • Providing you with an honest opinion about your chances of success;
  • Providing you with a firm, written quote of our fees to represent you, including details of any application components such as medicals and translation expenses that will represent additional costs;
  • Ensuring that the documents you need for your application are of a standard that meets the Australian Government’s requirements; and that of the relevant State Government, if necessary;
  • Assisting you with any complexities or points of law that might apply to your unique case to avoid you being confused;
  • Ensuring your application form is completed correctly and accompanied by the correct fee, so your application is valid (the Department is legally unable to consider invalid applications, usually resulting in a loss of application fees);
  • Preparing a legislatively based submission to support your application and present you in the best possible way;
  • Lodging your application, monitoring its progress and liaising with the Australian Government on your behalf;
  • Keeping you regularly informed.  We know how important it is to be kept up-to-date. We are available to discuss your application with you after hours to make it easier for you to contact us; and
  • In the event that your application is not successful, apply for Ministerial intervention (if appropriate), submit an appeal and/or represent you at tribunal hearing.

 What is a Registered Migration Agent?

  • To provide migration advice in Australia, an agent needs to be registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). It’s a criminal act for unregistered advisers to provide such advice and the Government views this so seriously that such persons risk penalties of up to 10 years’ imprisonment. Migration agents providing advice outside Australia are not required to be registered and are not bound by the MARA’s stringent requirements.
  • No migration agent can guarantee that you will be 100% successful in your application. In fact it’s against the MARA’s Code of Conduct to make such a claim.
  • Migration agents are prohibited from implying that they have a special relationship with the Department of Immigration that will benefit their clients.
  • To find out whether the person offering you migration and visa advice is registered, you can search the Register of Agents on the MARA’s website.  If you don’t have access to a computer, you can obtain a hard copy of the register from MARA.  Another option is to ask them for their seven digit MARN – a registration number allocated by the MARA only to duly registered migration agents.

 How long will it take for my visa application to be processed and finalised?

  • The processing time for visa applications will vary according to the visa class you  apply for and the priority order in which applications are processed by the Department of Immigration. Should you choose to use the services of Embark Migration, we’re able to provide you with an up-to-date and realistic estimate on how long your application will likely to take.
  •  Clients will be advised of any changes or delays, which may affect their visa application.

Can you help me to find a job in Australia?

  • Embark Migration exclusively provides immigration advice and services and as such are not able to assist you in searching for a job in Australia. However, we are able to refer to you a number of organisations that provide this service. We’re also happy to liaise with any potential employers in relation to Employer Sponsored Visas and will do what we can to assist with this process.

 Can you offer any guarantees that my visa application will be successful?

  • Unfortunately, we cannot offer you any guarantees regarding the outcome of your application. For a visa application to be successful, you as the applicant must satisfy all requirements of the visa class you apply for. This is ultimately up to the Australian Government.
  • We can however guarantee you a thorough and extensive assessment of your situation including your intended visa application, once you have used our services. Based on our professional knowledge of Australian migration law, we’re able to offer you realistic and honest advice regarding the likely outcome of your visa application.
  • If we believe that your application is unlikely to succeed, we will advise you not to proceed with your visa application. Under no circumstances will we advise you to proceed with an application unless we believe it has a reasonable chance of success.

When I migrate, will I lose my current passport?

  •  No, not necessarily.  Firstly, you will enter as a permanent resident, which does not affect your current citizenship status. After four years you can apply for Australian citizenship but this is optional. The Australian Government allows dual-nationality, which means you can hold two passports, so you could retain your current passport and obtain an Australian passport as well. Having said this, you must check that your own country of citizenship allows dual-nationality, as this right must be reciprocal. If not, you will need to surrender your other passport in order to become a citizen.

 How long do I need to live in Australia before I can become a citizen?

  •  From 1 July 2010 all citizenship applicants will need to meet this residence requirement at the time they apply for Australian citizenship.
  • You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying, including one year as a permanent resident, and
  • You must not have been absent from Australia for more than one year during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.