There are two ways that are acceptable for making an application for an Australian visa. Most visas require the application to be made online, but there are some that require a paper application to be made.
If you are making a paper application for an Australian visa:
- Answer every question truthfully. If a question does not apply to you, you should write “Not Applicable” or “N/A” in the space provided. If the application form is incomplete it may be returned to the applicant as an invalid application. Worse still, the application may be refused.
- If you do not know the answer to a question on the application, you should declare that you do not know or provide some further explanation is there is sufficient space on the form.
- If your answer to a question will not fit in the space on the application form you should write your full answer on a separate piece of paper. If you use another piece of paper, you should make it clear which form and which question your answer or additional information relates to.
- If you do not know the date of a particular question on the application form you should write the date as “01/01/1900”. This shows the immigration department that you cannot remember or do not know the correct date for that question.
- If you want to provide more information about a question and the application form does not have enough room or does not ask the question, you can attach a separate piece of paper to explain the extra information you want to provide. You should make sure that it is clear in what form and/or question the extra information relates to.
If you are applying for an Australian visa online:
- To make an online application, you will need to create an ImmiAccount user profile on the Australian Government’s immigration department website. An ImmiAccount is the only way to submit and manage online visa and citizenship applications.
- After creating an ImmiAccount answer every question on the application form. If an answer to any question is incomplete or incorrect the application may be refused.
- If you do not have an answer to a question, and there are no instructions for it on the electronic form you should write “Not Applicable” or “N/A” in the space provided.
- Once you have correctly answered all of the questions you will be able to submit the application. You will need to pay the visa application charge when the application is submitted.
- In most cases, once the online application has been submitted, you will be able to upload any supporting documents that you have as part of your evidence for the visa.
- You can upload additional documents to the application until the visa application has been finalised or withdrawn.